Wednesday 29 July 2009

'You Heard It Here First' Feature

With a vibe similar to the likes of Danny and The Champions of the World, Jack Green & The Band of Thieves and Kill It Kid (who I interviewed on here last year), Spindle & Wit are a five piece post indie folk act from London who originate from both Wales and Denmark – a rather strange thought when you consider there’s not really a common bond between the two countries. I do recall Craig Bellamy scoring the winner in an international friendly between the two nations at the end of last year but I am digressing somewhat here aren’t I?

Nevertheless, the four males and one lady that make up Spindle & Wit are a fresh and interesting sounding bunch of scallywags with Slow Club-esqe vocal harmonies and whimsical lyrics held together by shuffling pirate drumming, a fiddler – I mean the instrument of course, not a sex offender – then again, you can’t tell with some people can you? Anyway, I’m going off topic again aren’t I?

I’m also told that the banjo player Charlie learnt to play the banjo with one hand as he had a broken arm at the time of learning. I’m not sure if the rest of the band have to constantly break his arm or whether or not he’s learnt to play with two hands – either way, that’s dedication for you boys and girls!

In a world where it’s common and cool for trendy rich kids to dress like tramps and make music for the people - very few have conviction. The songs are an after thought with some. Spindle & Wit on the other hand are one of the bands in the crazy London circus that I sense honesty from. Their songs have the ability to cleanse me in a way that the likes of Arcade Fire manage and praise doesn’t come much higher than that does it?

Ones to watch as the saying goes…

www.myspace.com/spindleandwit


http://youhearditherefirst.wordpress.com/2009/07/23/spindle-wit/

No comments:

Post a Comment